Netflix’s Western hit “Power of the Dog” has racked up the most nominations for the 94th Academy Awards.
The big picture: Overall, the streaming services — especially Netflix, Apple TV+, and Amazon — dominated in all major acting and best picture categories.
- from Amazon “Being the Ricardos” landed nominations for actors Javier Bardem (lead actor), Nicole Kidman (lead actress), and JK Simmons (supporting actor).
- AppleTV+ made strong inroads, with his film “CODA” earning nominations for Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor and Best Adapted Screenplay. The streamer’s “The Tragedy of Macbeth” received a Best Lead Actor nomination for Denzel Washington.
- Disney+ landed three films in the Best Animated Feature category with “Encanto”, “Luca” and “Raya and the Last Dragon”.
Details: Ten films were nominated for Best Picture, including Netflix’s ‘The Power of the Dog’ and ‘Don’t Look Up’, Disney’s ‘West Side Story’, Apple’s ‘CODA’, as well as ‘Belfast’. “Licorice Pizza”, “King Richard”, “Nightmare Alley”, “Dune” and the Japanese movie “Drive My Car”.
- “Power of the Dog” received 12 nominations overall, followed by “Dune” with 10 and “Belfast” and “West Side Story” each receiving seven.
- ‘Power of the Dog’ director Jane Campion made history by becoming the first woman to be nominated for Best Director twice.
The big picture: The awards will take place March 27 at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles. Unlike the Golden Globes, the event will be broadcast live on ABC.
- The Golden Globes usually serve as the litmus test for which movies will be considered for the Oscars, but this year’s ceremony, which was not televised, slipped most Americans’ radar.
- ABC’s parent company Disney experimented with airing the nominations on Hulu and Disney+ on Tuesday morning, a spokesperson said. The event marked the first time any content was streamed live on Disney+.
- ABC has yet to release its live broadcast plans for the show.
Rollback: Netflix Dominates 2021 Oscar Nominations
Editor’s note: Amazon’s “Being the Ricardos” received nominations in three acting categories, it did not earn a Best Picture nomination.