HUMBLE, Texas – The family of a beloved pet said the dog had gaping gashes after staying at a local boarding house.
The pet owner said he decided to give Fetch Pet Resort a try in Humble because it has good reviews online. They said they asked staff to keep their poodle separate from other dogs, but they claim this did not happen and their dog was injured.
Six-year-old Baron isn’t just man’s best friend, he’s part of the family.
âWe raised him like he was our own child,â owner Larry Dean said.
Dean and his wife had to leave town for two days. So they took Baron to the Fetch Pet Resort with specific instructions.
âWe requested that he be isolated from other animals for his protection against kennel cough,â Dean said.
Before they could get Baron back, they got a call from the establishment.
âThey said he had an argument with another dog and might need a few stitches,â Dean said. “When we got there the dog was in shock. It was covered in blood and bleeding.”
Dean said Baron had gashes on his neck and chest and a tube was inserted during emergency surgery.
âThey told us he was left unattended and a dog came out of a pen and grabbed him,â Dean said.
In a statement, Fetch Pet Resort manager Sendy Luna said Dean and his wife were both very upset and rude.
âI tried to explain to them that unfortunately the other dog had jumped over the 6 foot fence and came into the yard where his dog was. I also explained to them that the dog that attacked Baron had never showed any signs of aggression towards other dogs and that we do not accept any aggressive dogs in our establishment, but accidents do happen even when we do our best to prevent them, âsaid Luna.
Dean said the establishment paid the vet’s bills, but he hadn’t heard from the owner of the establishment, nor was he sure what kind of dog bit Baron.
As his poodle recovers, Dean said he has a message for other dog owners.
âDo your due diligence. Be careful where you leave your pet,â he said.
The Harris County Sheriff’s Office told KPRC2 it was investigating the incident. Dean said a sheriff’s deputy was able to help them confirm through the vet that the dog that bit Baron had been vaccinated against rabies.
Copyright 2019 by KPRC Click2Houston – All rights reserved.